Monday, April 2, 2012

Mad at Mad Men

Well, the writers of Mad Men have gone and done it now. On last night's episode, Betty's husband Henry Frances, who is a politician, is on a call and says, "Well, tell Jim his honor’s not going to Michigan, because Romney’s a clown and I don’t want him standing next to him." My ears perked up for obvious reasons. The Romney they were referring to was George Romney. The former governor of Michigan and late father of presidential hopeful Mitt Romney. Tagg Romney, Mitt's son is very upset that the show would take a swipe at his dead grandfather.

Mad Men is known to be offensive at times. I can remember watching an episode last season where, in reference to the Sonny Liston vs. Muhammad Ali rematch, a secretary on the show said, "If I wanted to see two negroes fight, I’d throw a dollar bill out my window." WAIT WHAT? I thought to myself "NO AMC DID NOT GO THERE!" They most certainly did. Before I got too pressed I had to remind myself that the show is set in the 1960's. Back then, people didn't even blink an eye at some of the things we find offensive now.

No comments:

Post a Comment