Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rush to Judgment

A week ago today, Rush Limbaugh slammed Sandra Fluke for her testimony given at an unofficial hearing convened by the Democrats. Fluke, a Georgetown law student, spoke of the harmful impact to female students brought on by the lack of contraception coverage at the Jesuit school. Limbaugh, along with many others, immediately criticized Fluke.  Calling her a slut and a prostitute for wanting her sex life subsidized by the federal government. In the days to follow, many sponsors have chosen to pull their ads from his popular radio program. President Obama personally called Fluke to extend his support as she now finds herself in the middle of a media firestorm.
The opinions expressed by Limbaugh are held by many conservatives.  I just don’t understand how they make the leap from subsidizing birth control to essentially bankrolling someone’s sex life. When I went in for my annual exam this past February, I didn’t have to pay anything for the office visit. The checkup was covered under my insurance company’s wellness plan. So is the federal government paying for my sex life? Keep in mind I’m married, so they aren’t paying for much J.
To me, it just makes common sense to fund certain programs and initiatives that in the long run will prevent all tax payers from having to shell out money for much bigger problems.

1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing wit that is very funny, even when discussing serious topics. I love it.

    ReplyDelete