Saturday, March 3, 2012

Urban Decay - Naked 1 and Naked 2 Compare & Review

Back in January I purchased the Urban Decay Naked 1 and Naked 2 eyeshadow palettes. At that time I gave myself a personal challenge to ONLY use the eyeshadows in these two palettes during the ENTIRE month of February. ALL 29 DAYS! The reason being, most of my eyeshadow collection is from MAC and I thought these two palettes would be a great way to try something new.

Urban Decay does a great job of marketing these palettes prior to their release. They are launched online only first and shortly thereafter are in stores like Ulta and Sephora. When the Naked 1 palette was released it quickly sold out online and was selling on EBay for over $100. People were paying ridiculous amounts of money to get their hands on that palette. The second time around Urban Decay definitely got it right. It was released online first as was the Naked 1 but was never sold out for very long. I stopped by my local Sephora store a couple of weeks ago and the entire place was stocked with both Naked 1 and Naked 2 palettes. Urban Decay is definitely keeping up with the demand for these hot ticket items.

My 29 day journey with these two palettes was an interesting one. Buying prepackaged makeup palettes can be diffult. You run the risk of not liking all or a majority of the items. It's like hearing a few songs on the radio and then deciding whether or not to buy the whole album. It's always a gamble.

To the left are the eyeshadows in my Naked 1 palette. You have to excuse the nicks and scapes.  A straight month of wear and tear will do that to a palette. From left to right the colors are Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal.

Virgin and Sin are meant to be highlight shades. Shades that are placed under the browbone or in the inner tear duct but I found that they were too glittery and frosty to be used on my darker complexion. If you need a point of reference I am a NW 45/NC 50 in MAC's foundation. My favoites from this palette were Gunmetal, Hustle, Toasted, Half Baked and Smog. I know what you're thinking. Only five out of twelve shades? Yep.

To the right are the eyeshadows in my Naked 2 palette. From left to right the colors are Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted and Blackout. I loved, loved, loved this palette. The highligh shades, Foxy and Bootycall worked perfectly with my complexion. The matte black that was inlcuded in this pallete is a great shade that can turn any look in to something dramatic. The majority of the shadows made my favorites list so it's easier to list the shades I didn't like which were Pistol and Verve. 

To the left are swatches on my arm of the Naked 1 palette.

To the righy are swatches on my arm of the Naked 2 palette.



In total, I fell in love with 15 of the 24 eyeshadows. I would have been better off just purchasing the Naked 2 palette but it was fun to play with both. One pressed eyeshadow from Urban Decay costs $17 versus the Naked palettes which have 12 shadows and are $50.  The Naked 1 palette comes with an eyeshadow brush and a sample sized primer potion. The Naked 2 palette comes with a dual-sided eyeshadow brush a sample sized lip gloss. These palettes are a great buy.

I can't imagine Urban Decay releasing another Naked palette in a year or so although I am sure they will. I'm about as Naked as I'm going to get with these two palettes but it would be interesting to see what new colors they would come out with.

If you're still on the fence about purchasing one of these palettes your best bet would be to go in to your local Sephora or Ulta store and swatch to your heart's content. See which palellte works best for you and your skin tone. As for me, I am more than happy to get back to my MAC eyeshadow collection. I took a count the other day and I'm up to 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment