A couple of weeks ago, in preparation for New Year’s Eve, I stopped in at my usual nail salon for a manicure. I have a habit of looking at ALL of the colors, even though I know I’m going to pick the lightest shade of pink they have. A shade that won’t call too much or any attention to myself. One that will be appropriate for both church and work. My nail tech, Julie, has the patience of Job. She waits for me to walk back and forth, picking up and putting down nail polishes that are brilliant and bold. Probably hoping that one day, I’ll get something other than a pale pink.
This trip to the nail shop was as any other and as my nails were drying, I noticed a polish that looked like a party in a bottle. It was OPI’s Nail Lacquer in Rainbow Connection. “The rainbow glitter of your dreams.” YES! Something about this polish spoke to my spirit. There were actual chunks of glitter in the bottle. It was BEAUTIFUL! I considered getting a pedicure and using this as the polish, but what fun would that be? It’s winter and I’m wearing closed-toe shoes most days. No one would see the polish. Not even me. I called Julie over and ask if she could paint the ring fingers of each hand with this magical polish. I don’t know who was more excited. I was getting something OTHER THAN PINK! I WAS IN LOVE!
When I got home, my husband seemed perplexed by the fact that I had glitter on two fingernails. I, of course, thought it was awesome. In the days to follow, I’d catch myself staring at the sparkly polish. Something about the glitter made me happy. Something about the flecks of gold, hot pink, blue and green made me smile. The last time I had glitter on my nails I was seven years old and didn’t have a care in the world. Wearing that polish for a couple of weeks reminded me of an old NYE resolution. To loosen up and not take myself so seriously. I should probably add this one to the list for 2012.

How did I miss this on your fingers!?!!!!
ReplyDelete