Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Recipe Share: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

I am counting down the hours til Thanksgiving. My Aunt Grace is in town from Georgetown, Guyana (South America) and as this is her first Thanksgiving in America my mom is pulling out all the stops! I cannot wait until tomorrow. With my mom taking care of the main meal I was commissioned to prepare the desserts. I put in an order for two sweet potato pies from a lady at my church but also decided to bake pumpkin coconut bread and pound cake.
 
I think I found this recipe on Pinterest. It's simple enough and you could probably find most of the ingredients in your fridge right now.

 
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture until blended.   Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Garnish with confectioners' sugar, strawberries and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
 
Don't rush when creaming the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Take your time and make sure they are very well blended. If you're in a hurry don't worry about adding in one egg at a time. I've made this recipe a few times and it comes out just the same if you don't. When you're done mixing dry and wet ingredients what you're left with is a batter that looks and feels like cool whip. Instead of  using a tube pan I baked the batter in two 9 * 5 loaf pans. The original recipe yields 16 servings but when split in to two pans you get close to 30. Using loaf pans is a great way to stretch any recipe.
 
 



 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this one Faith it looks easy enough maybe I can bring it in to share it with my coworkers thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodnes, this is almost the exact recipe that my grandmother used to bake which is the same recipe my mother taught me as well.

    Let me just say that this cake is gooooooooooooood!

    Thanks for sharing and belated Thanksgiving blesses to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete