Monday, November 5, 2012

Recap: The Makeup Show Orlando

On Friday, I told you guys that I’d be making the hop, skip and a jump trip to Orlando for The Makeup Show. My girlfriend and I had an absolute BLAST yesterday. The Orlando show was the last stop for 2012 and advanced tickets were sold online for $35 and tickets at the door were going for $50. This event was held at the Peabody Hotel which is renowned for their ducks and the daily duck walk that takes place at 11am. This was my first time ever going to something like this and had it not been for the buzz on Twitter I wouldn’t have known about it.

Sunday morning we got up bright and early to be at the Peabody when the doors of the show opened at 9am.  There was already a long line but as most of us had pre-purchased tickets, it moved very quickly. My guest and I were given green armbands which gave us entry to the show throughout the day. In the room, which looked like a grand ballroom, there were three very long rows stretching from one of the room to the other with exhibitors on either side of the aisle. At two corners of the room were areas sectioned off for the free workshops that would be presented throughout the day.

I ended up not taking as many pictures as I had intended to. Initially I thought I’d go in all reporter like. You know “This is Faith Burriss reporting live from The Makeup Show in Orlando…” I quickly realized that that wasn’t the type of experience I wanted for my first time. I just wanted to leisurely walk around the room and take everything in as a makeup lover not as a blogger per se. The perspective or view point is different for both. The show runs two days and if I attend next year I’d get tickets for both days. One day to stroll around and shop and another day to go at the show from a blogger’s standpoint.

Shows like this are a great experience for anyone who can attend. If you’re like me and you love makeup there are great deals to be had. Most booths were selling products at a deep discount. At LEAST 30%. You can’t beat that with a stick! If you’re a makeup artist it’s a great opportunity to stock up on items you need for your kit and to see demos for what’s up and coming in the business. If you’re a blogger this show is an awesome tool to network and make contacts.

The one thing that impressed me throughout the ENTIRE day was how friendly everyone was. With that many women in one room with that much makeup it could have easily turned in to a free for all but it never did. Everyone was just so happy to be there and it really showed in how pleasant they were.  

If you have the chance to attend The Makeup Show in 2013 I would strongly advise you to do so. I know that going to IMATS (The International Make-Up Artist Trade Show) is on everyone’s bucket list but the Makeup Show is worth checking out. Dates for 2013 are already on their website.

http://themakeupshow.com/

My next post will be a showcasing of the products I picked up from The Makeup Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment