At the beginning of the month I dropped by Ulta and
Sephora and nothing really called out to me which is odd but I didn’t fight
it. Then I remembered the new Makeup
Geek eyeshadows and lipsticks. The Makeup Geek brand is owned and operated by
Marlena, who also happen to be one of my favorite beauty gurus on YouTube. Hers
was one of the first channels I subscribed to and two years later I’m still
loving her videos. They’re both informative and creative.
Earlier this year she announced the creation of her very own makeup line. I can’t imagine how excited she must have been to share the news. The first beauty products to be launched under the Makeup Geek label were eyeshadows followed soon thereafter by lipsticks.
Earlier this year she announced the creation of her very own makeup line. I can’t imagine how excited she must have been to share the news. The first beauty products to be launched under the Makeup Geek label were eyeshadows followed soon thereafter by lipsticks.
I’m pretty sure she has more in the works so be sure to
check out her website (http://www.makeupgeek.com). Eyeshadows and lipsticks are
cleverly bundled together as way to “sample” these new items. I purchased the
8-Eyeshadow Starter Kit ($45.00) and the 5-Lipstick Adventure Pack ($29.99). I
placed my order on a Thursday afternoon and received the package Monday when I
got back from home. I couldn’t believe how quickly the items were shipped and
received. Inside the box, all of the items were carefully packed with bubble
wrap and peanuts.
8-Eyeshadow Starter Kit ($45.00)
The 8-Eyeshadow starter
kit comes with the following:
FIRST ROW
Cocoa Bear – Matte golden brown
Mocha – Matte Warm medium brown
Glamorous – Bronzy, shimmery gold
Purely Naked – Soft shimmery nude
Mocha – Matte Warm medium brown
Glamorous – Bronzy, shimmery gold
Purely Naked – Soft shimmery nude
SECOND ROW
Shimma Shimma – Shimmery highlight
Purple Rain – Deep but subtle matte purple
Unexpected – Light and subtle pink matte purple blend
Corrupt – Intense matte black with small bit
of sparkle
The eyeshadows are nothing short of amazing. They are highly pigmented and are very easy to blend. You’d think that would be a given when talking about eyeshadows, but it’s not. I’ve purchased eyeshadows from high end brands that are dry and very difficult to work with. Once you place the color on your lid it doesn’t budge. The Makeup Geek eyeshadows aren’t like that. They’re smooth and creamy and last all day over a good base/primer. The packaging is almost identical to that of MAC with the circular magnet on the back. These shadows even fit into MAC palette. They’re made in the USA and are cruelty free. The best part is the price. With the starter kit the shadows are about $5.62 each. Sold separately they are $5.99 each.
The eyeshadows are nothing short of amazing. They are highly pigmented and are very easy to blend. You’d think that would be a given when talking about eyeshadows, but it’s not. I’ve purchased eyeshadows from high end brands that are dry and very difficult to work with. Once you place the color on your lid it doesn’t budge. The Makeup Geek eyeshadows aren’t like that. They’re smooth and creamy and last all day over a good base/primer. The packaging is almost identical to that of MAC with the circular magnet on the back. These shadows even fit into MAC palette. They’re made in the USA and are cruelty free. The best part is the price. With the starter kit the shadows are about $5.62 each. Sold separately they are $5.99 each.
5-Lipstick Adventure Pack ($29.99)
The following lipsticks are included in the Adventure pack:
Luscious Deep red with magenta undertone
Famous – Bright magenta purple
Captivating – Bright warm orange
Fearless – Hot pink with a mix of purple
Lavish – Rosy nude pink
I was blown away by these lipsticks. They put other brands, high end brands, to shame. They too are highly pigmented and creamy. With other lipsticks, I’ve found that you have to sometimes sacrifice the one for the other. For instance if a lipstick is highly pigmented it’s very dry or vice versa with a lipstick that’s really moisturizing but has very little color payoff. With the Makeup Geek lipsticks you get both moisture and color that lasts over six hours. They’re also made in the USA and are cruelty free.
Famous – Bright magenta purple
Captivating – Bright warm orange
Fearless – Hot pink with a mix of purple
Lavish – Rosy nude pink
I was blown away by these lipsticks. They put other brands, high end brands, to shame. They too are highly pigmented and creamy. With other lipsticks, I’ve found that you have to sometimes sacrifice the one for the other. For instance if a lipstick is highly pigmented it’s very dry or vice versa with a lipstick that’s really moisturizing but has very little color payoff. With the Makeup Geek lipsticks you get both moisture and color that lasts over six hours. They’re also made in the USA and are cruelty free.
LET’S DO THE MATH. SHALL WE?
Makeup Geek Eyeshadows = 8 * $5.99 (regular price) = $47.92
MAC = 8 * $11.00 = $88.00
That’s savings of $40.08
The Makeup Geek eyeshadows also come
in compact form for $7.99
Makeup Geek Eyeshadows = 8 * $7.99 = $63.92
MAC = 8 * $14.50 = $116.00
That’s savings of $52.08
Makeup Geek Lipsticks = 5 * $7.99 (regular price) = $39.95
MAC = 5 * $15.00 = $75.00
That’s savings of $35.05.
MAC = 5 * $15.00 = $75.00
That’s savings of $35.05.
I absolutely love the makeup items
that Marlena and the Makeup Geek family have released. It’s awesome when you
can support an indie brand that puts out such quality makeup. I loved the
eyeshadow starter kit so much that I purchased five more shadows. They’re
gorgeous!
From Left to Right: Cinderella, Twilight, Appletini, Mango Tango and Poolside
I only see bigger and better things
for this brand. Be sure to check out the Makeup Geek Store (http://www.makeupgeek.com/announcements/makeup-geek-eyeshadow-lipstick-stock-up-sale/)
this week for their eyeshadow and lipstick stock up sale. You don’t want to
miss it.



I was wondering when you'd dip in to her line!!! Those prices can't be beat! And those colors look gorgeous! I'm gonna have to buy some now, even though I just bought a whole bunch of Bare Escentuals stuff. Oh well, we all need some newness!
ReplyDeleteYes it's good to shake things up and freshen up your makeup.
DeleteNice to give as a gift.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. These shadows and lipsticks would be great as gifts.
DeleteOoooh. The shadows look lovely and smooth and the lipsticks look amazing!
ReplyDelete