Friday, June 1, 2012

Faith's Favorites: May 2012

Earlier this month I shared the importance of using a foundation primer in your daily routine so I feel as though I should start this month's favorites with Smashbox's Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light. It's a lightweight, water-based foundation primer that's perfect for my oily skin. My makeup applies much easier and lasts longer with this primer. It dries to a matte finish on  my skin and doesn't have a harsh or unpleasant smell. It's packaged in a plastic squeeze bottle/container. The smaller tip at the end allows for control over the amount of product that comes out so you're never wasting any. If you want to test drive this primer or others from Smashbox, check your local Sephora. The store that I frequent has smaller sample size containers of their primer for half the price.

My next favorite is one that I am really excited about. It's NAR's highlighting blush in Albatross. I was watching a YouTube video where it was mentioned so I decided to check it out for myself. When I saw the white shimmery pressed powder in the compact, I just knew it wouldn't work for me and my darker skin tone. I took a swipe of it with my finger and swatched it on my hand and to my surprise it left a soft golden glow. I have used it every day since to get that sun-kissed look. Being that I have oily skin, I use a very light hand when applying this to the high points of my cheek bones. It can also be used as a highlight under your brow bone and inner tear duct. This highlighting blush is truly one that could work on any skin tone. From the lightest of the light to the darkest of the dark. It would look great on anyone.

Between you and me, I have a hard time finding blush. Most often they aren't pigmented enough and don't even show up on my cheeks. They end up looking and feeling chaulky on my skin. I've had great success with a few of MAC's blushes but wanted to find a cheaper alternative. During a trip to Ulta, I picked up NYX's Dessert Rose. It's a gorgeous shade of pink that blends easily and you can't beat the $6 price tag!

I added MAC's Up the Amp lipstick  through the Back to MAC recycling program. I had several empty containers and decided to pick up a few lipsticks that would be perfect for the spring and summer. MAC describes the color of this amplified creme lipstick as lavender-violet. It's full coverage but not terribly bright.

Oddly enough my next favorite is a perfume. Ralph Lauren's Romance was my favorite scent years ago and when I saw it at Ulta I purchased it for old times sake. I love it just as much now as I did then. It's described as the "sensual essence of velvety woods, extravagant florals and seductive musk". It's not too light and not too heavy. Perfect for an office environment when you want to wear perfume but don't want the smell to be overpowering and offensive.

Last but most certainly not least is Sigma Beauty's Dry and Shape. Before I had this I would wash my brushes and lay them on a towel to dry overnight. Sometimes in the morning my brushes would still be damp. Eight hours later! The Dry and Shape is true to it's name. It dries and shapes your makeup brushes in 4-6 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment