Today is Ash Wednesday and many around the world will begin the 40 days and 40 nights of Lent. I myself am not Catholic but there is something about lent that has always appealed to me.
Lent is a very special time of prayer, penance and sacrifice in preparation of the celebration of Easter. The number "40" is significant in spiritual preparation. Moses spent 40 days and 40 nights on Mount Sinai, preparing to receive the Ten Commandments. Elijah walked 40 days and 40 nights to the Mountain of the Lord, Mount Horeb. Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days and 40 nights before he began his ministry.
In my effort to observe this time I'm giving up eating sweets (candy, chocolate, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc.) and purchasing makeup and beauty products. Anyone that knows me can tell you that this is a true sacrifice. I also want to carve out some time every day to pray and study the bible.
Are you observing lent this year? If so what have you chosen to give up? Do you have any tips on remaining faithful to your pledge?
No comments:
Post a Comment